Sunday, September 18, 2011

Friday's Fabulous Woman: Maya Angelou

This week's fabulous woman in Maya Angelou for living large and strong and for writing the poem Phenomenal Woman.   She is a poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director who at age 83 still travels the world sharing her thoughts.

Phenomenal Woman is one of my favorite poems - to me its the equivalent of a song on the radio that you crank up the volume for and sing at the top of your lungs because it makes you happy.   This is the first section - the full poem can be found here.

Phenomenal Woman
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
























Images from MayaAngelou.com


No comments: